Friday, August 07, 2009

Naturally Fermented Dilly Beans

We try to eat as many fermented foods as possible (normally as a condiment not as a main dish). We do the homemade yogurt, water keifer, home made sauerkraut and kimchi. We have been waiting a long time for fresh green beans to make some Fermented Dilly Beans..............and they were worth wait!

For more information on naturally fermented foods (like my legal disclaimer haha!), I highly suggest the book Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. It is not only a way of preserving foods without canning, but it also provides us with certain health benefits. Lacto-fermented foods are good for our digestive health and help provide us with high amounts of vitamins and enzymes that we need. Here is a great video from him.



All his videos are good, so check them out :) There is SO much to say when it comes to naturally fermented food and it can't possibly all be said right now, so do a little reading and find out yourself.

Okay, anyways. Here is the recipe I made this past week. It was simple and probably one of the easiest fermented foods I've made yet haha! I had found about 10 different recipes here and there and everywhere for them and just went with the flow. I think the more fermented foods you make, the more you tend to play around.

1 quart jar
fresh green beans, enough to fill the jar, cleaned with ends removed (about 1 pound)
2 TBS salt (not iodized salt)
Dill, garlic, and peppercorns
distilled water (never use tap water, it contains chlorine and using chlorinated water would defeat your goal here!)

Pack your green beans into your jar and add in your seasonings. I used about 2 TBS of dried dill seed from the garden and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped up, and about 1 tsp of whole black peppercorns.

Add in your salt and enough water to leave about 1 inch of head space. Swirl around to help dissolve the salt. Cover with a lid and check everyday for mold/scum on top. Skim off if needed. I never had any problem.

By the 3rd night I had a lot of bubbly action going on. We tasted them every day and they only got better with time. Very good! I only waited a few days for these to ferment (some recipes say 3 days, some 7 days, some 14 days and our temps have been warmer here so I went fewer), they sat in a nice warm spot and were a perfect sourness and nice and crunchy. Yummy! We will be doing the same with some cucumbers here in the next few days :)

I added this post to Food Renegades Fight Back Fridays. Head over there for other great links on real, traditional foods :)

2 comments:

Country Girl said...

Very cool. Thanks for the info. Our beans just started coming in. I just recently purchashed Nourishing Traditions and have been reading up on fermented foods. I might try making these this weekend.

Deb said...

Thanks for posting this! A coworker has gifted me with two bags of green and yellow beans, and I was thinking I should make bean pickles. I really enjoy Sandor Katz's books.